It all started with an elephant.
Or rather, an Elephante.
Now, quite what elephantes have to do with socks might puzzle you, but it went a bit like this. DD1 was turning 2, and I thought she should have an elephante. I needed teeny tiny DPNs, and I got a set from Vintage Purls, and could not resist their sock yarn. So I bought a lovely skein of Boysenberry which I started to knit into a pair of Primavera. Months ago! Like maybe August… This is despite the fact that the only time I had seen socks being knitted, I could hardly believe my eyes, as they were confidently shaped before my eyes, no pattern in evidence as needles were wielded in a complicated looking way. By the time I had finished my first sock, the DPNs were replaced by an 80cm needle and I was magic looping for the first time.
Anyway, this purchase led to more yarn purchases, some lovely Lorna’s Lace sock yarn which FIL bought back from the US, and more from Vintage Purls, which is calling to me.
So, the socks made very slow progress, and I am delighted to announce that my Primavera were finished just after midnight on New Year! Lovely aren’t they – now I just need to wait for cold weather to enjoy wearing them.
But the only problem is this: they aren’t actually my first pair of socks. One skein of Lorna’s Laces jumped the queue, and being 5ply and in a simple pattern I managed to knock out a pair in just three days! I used the Sell Your Sole pattern which was clear and well written. And on 3.25 verus 2.25mm needles, it’s no surprise it happened a lot faster. So, here they are!
And, with about 10 patterns for more socks in my Ravelry favourites, I think that by the time winter comes along, I will have a wardrobe to make my toes among the toastiest in town.