So, I should probably have been knitting. But over the last week or so, I’ve noticed Miss A (2.5) has started to play with the tutu I made for her to wear to the Mainly Music Christmas party. And her playsilk has been a “Super” cape, and a dress. So, it seemed an opportune time to investigate starting a dress up box for her. I wanted to make something, and I found this online tutorial for a fairy outfit. As I had to take a trip to Spotlight today to buy the finishing touches for my Yarn Swap, I was able to pick up the bits I needed to supplement my stash. And while there I found these cute things: wings, a tiara and a wand – what every fairy needs.
In my shopping cart I had a stem of hydrangeas, a long length of flowery ribbon, and a wee suitcase of buttons – I only used some of them, but the rest will supplement my scrapbooking stash.
For the skirt I used some silver voile I had left over from curtains in our bedroom that I made several years ago. And I also used bits of ribbon left over from taggy blanket making.
I altered the design of the waistband to use ribbon instead of elastic – which means the skirt will grow with DD rather than being something that she grows out of quickly. It seems it can even fit mummy, and if I really want to embarrass Mr11, there is photographic evidence of him wearing said outfit (complete with wand and tiara).
The stem of flowers was disassembled and sewn below the waistband with the buttons.
I spaced the ribbons around the skirt, sewn under the flowers. And it was ready to go!
And the whole outfit was a success. To cries of “Alllllah Faaaaaaireeee”, it was worn all afternoon. But there is a “no fairies at the table” rule that was implemented at dinner 😀