Archive for February 17th, 2009

Yarn Swap Parcels

In the middle of last year, some online friends started a themed yarn swap.  It was around the time DD2 was due and a baby, so I sat out and watched as magnificent parcels of hand dyed yarn and themed knitting accessories, gifts and recipes made their way up and down the country. I was a little sad I hadn’t been able to join, but was delighted the another swap was mooted right away. So I signed up 🙂

The first swap I did was headed for someone expecting her second baby. The time of year and her blooming condition inspired a theme of Spring. This was before I had my acid dyes, and I used Dylon Cold dyes to produce this yarn:picture-1186

The results were a bit too subtle for my liking – this was a green with hints of blue, pink, yellow and purple.  But it was suitable for a wee baby, so that’s all good.  I finished off the parcel with an Addi circular to knit the pattern I sent (Boheme), a set of handmade stitch markers, which were the ‘gift’ portion of the parcel, and for the ‘paper’, I made a wee picture for the wall using scrapbooking supplies.

picture-1185

The yarn I received in return became my Pohutukawa socks.

Immediately this swap was complete, registrations were called for a third swap, and I decided to sign up for two parcels.  The first person I was to swap for likes quick knits, so I chose to dye up some 12 ply for her.  I chose Cleckheaton Country 12 ply.  I wanted to dye some berry shades, and did a couple of processes on the yarn, first dyeing the three shades really dilute and then overdying them with more concentrated colours over their own section.  This is the result:

picture-1603

I called the theme parcel “Very Berry” The pattern I chose was for the Knitting Needle Knitting Bag, which is done in ‘berry stitch’.  And the gifts I sent were what was necessary for making it – the knitting needles – as you superglue the top of the bag to the needles instead of casting off, fabric for the lining,  some extra yarn as this is a very thirsty pattern,  and some Black Forest Chocolate for, um, sustenance.  The recipe I included was for raspberry and white chocolate muffins.

picture-1610

The second swap was a chance to play with my purple dyes.  The first process was to use the three dyes (indigo, violet, bright violet)  in a semi solid fashion. It was waaaaay more violet than I counted on, and so overdyed it with the indigo in patches, and then dip dyed the skein in dilute boysenberry dye.  This is what it looked like reskeined:

picture-1604

I called this parcel ‘Little Luxuries’. The colour of the yarn is reminscent of the purple of Cadbury’s chocolate wrappers.  The pattern was for a lovely wrap , and the gifts included some little luxuries to enjoy: chocolate, a body gel, and some Soft Haze yarn to make a hat that my recipent has been hanging out to make.  And I included a recipe for Tiramisu, yummmm!

picture-1609

Both parcels have been received now (thank goodness neither went astray!) and I’ve got one of the two coming to me.  I’ll post about them both when the second one arrives 🙂  But for now, I am wearing a path between the house and mailbox, impatiently waiting for that second parcel.

Advertisements

February 2009
S M T W T F S
« Jan   Mar »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728

Blog Stats

  • 341,921 hits