I have accepted the inevitable. If I knit something for Miss 1, Miss almost 3 will want that same thing for herself. So, I had been planning a Rainbow Dress for Miss 1 for some time, having dyed up some yarn 6 or so weeks ago for it. A size 1 dress knits up so fast and after just a couple of days on knitting I had finished a cute wee dress for her.
Just one problem. When I dyed the yarn I had a few issues – the green I initially used did not dye up well, and the replacement green I used didn’t grab me. I thought knitting it up might fix it, but I wasn’t convinced. So, I test dyed a strand and decided that the answer would be to redye the finished dress.
I was much happier with the finished result after dyeing, and I think it looks really cute on too. Pity the best shot I managed to get was of little miss acting like a carpet slug though.
I made a number of pattern modifications to this wee dress. Instead of casting on for the Rainbow Dress, the garter stitch section is actually from the Milo vest, which I think sits better on the shoulders. I had to play with the numbers a little once I finished this section, I had an extra 4 stitches over the recommended number, so not too many at all. I increased every sixth row instead of fifth row, although now I see it on her, I think the extra flare might have been better. I also did a lace section on the bottom of the dress, just for something a bit different. The yarn was Charity 8ply, a cheap as chips machine washable 100% wool that our local yarn shop Knitworld has been stocking this year in an effort to make 100% wool accessible to charity knitters instead of nasty acrylic.
After the speedy size 1, a size 3 seemed to take much longer, plus Miss Almost 3 was agitating to have her dress completed. I knit this from Wool Company Merlot (bodice and hem) and Orchard for the skirt. Orchard is no longer being made, and this is the last of my stash. The girls have a wee Anouk dress, Boheme cardigan, soaker and legwarmers from it already so I think I have had my fill of this colourway now anyway.
I made almost exactly the same mods to this dress, except in a size 3. I did a garter stitch hem, making it nice and long to stop it from curling up.
Now, I had visions of having a cute picture of the girls wearing these together. I didn’t even manage a nice photo off Miss almost 3 in hers, let alone a shot of them together. Endless rain has meant no outdoor photo shoot, so excuse the telly-in-the-background shot.
I adore this on her, it fits beautifullly, and even a complete stranger stopped us in the street to admire it. Gotta love appreciation!