FO: Palindrome Shrug

It’s been a long time coming, but I have finally finished the shrug I began  back in January.  With the cooler weather arriving it seemed the perfect time to pick up this long negelected project, and I have been working on this for the last week or so.

I spent ages on Ravelry looking through patterns  before I settled on this pattern. It is a free pattern called the Palindrome Derivative Hug, and it appealed to me because it was not too plain, it seemed to be simple and well fitting too.  I cast on and soon tired on the endless cabeling. This is knit in two identical pieces and then joined together by either grafting or using a three needle bindoff (thus the palindrome).  I knit one half with a cable needle and the second half is all done without – my first attempt at cabling without a cable needle. I am sure that there are some excellent tutorials out the on the ‘net for this sort of thing. However when I lost my cable needle in DH’s car, no internet was handy. So it was a case of either putting the knitting down (sooo unlikely!) or adapting.

I love the fit of this – I really wanted something long sleeved without being a heavy cardigan.  This provides something really cosy to wear and can be worn over a t-shirt for casual wear as shown, but it’s also dressy enough for work purposes.  I used some yarn that is now discontinued – the lovely Naturally Merino et Soie DK weight yarn. There is a story to the purchase of this yarn… I bought 3 balls super cheap at one LYS, and then went to see if the other one had enough so that I could do a larger project in this yarn – purple being my favourite colour. They had some, but at full price. I shelled out, and then later discovered they were totally different shades – not different dye lots, but completely different colours. I ended up back to buy enough for a project instead of it being a wasted purchase. I’m not sure how much yarn I used – I think it is somewhere between 5 and 6 balls. But it’s too cosy on and too cold right now to take it off to weigh it!  I do have enough leftovers to make a hat of cowl to go with this, and it perfectly matches a pair of Fetching mitts I knit a couple of years ago too.

The pattern was written for one size – I cast on enough for and additional repeat, and followed it the instructions beyond that. I did leave off the decreases on the sleeve – I could try it on as I went and it seemed unnecessary. I am pleased with this decision- it fits beautifully. I was less impressed with the result of my provisional cast on. The instruction to have a cable cross so soon after the cast on caused issued when I unpicked the provisional cast on – just a few rows later and the result would have been much tidier. I used a three needle bind off rather than the kitchener grafting – things didn’t seem to be sitting quite right and I wasn’t quite sure how to bind off in pattern either.  It’s not the neatest job ever – a bit disappointing, but given I’d done all the knitting on it by this stage I didn’t really see any other options but to solider on and just get over the bind off done.

I didn’t bother to block this at all – I figured that with the negative ease built in on the upper arms and positive ease at the bottom of the arms, it could be a bit challenging, and also unnecessary. Reminds me of the good old days before I learnt about blocking – finish knitting and wear straight away 🙂


2 Responses to “FO: Palindrome Shrug”

  1. 1 topperarnold May 23, 2010 at 3:32 am

    Looks great!

  2. 2 kala May 29, 2010 at 3:54 pm

    Very cute, I love the color!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

May 2010
« Apr   Jun »

Blog Stats

  • 344,211 hits

%d bloggers like this: