Method: take one unfocused, supposed to be knitting Christmas presents knitter. Add some extra cheap but lovely yarn and a nice pattern, and a circular needle or two. Leave for a week or so. Remove resulting garment from needles, sew in six ends wash, dry in sunshine and try on small cute girl child.
Yes, I have a confession to make. I haven’t finished my Christmas knit list, but somehow found the time to try out the lovely Never Not Knitting’s Spring Garden Tee. I’ve had this pattern on my wish list for months now (since the Northern Summer I guess), and with the fine weather finally here, I just couldn’t resist casting on one for Miss 1.
The yarn I used is a now discontinued Sirdar yarn called Indigo. It is a DK 100% cotton yarn that was made in denim colours, and is designed to fade like denim. It also is intended to shrink 10% on its first wash – thus this has had a proper wash before wearing, and I knitted it 10% longer than the pattern to accomodate the shrinkage. This was possibly the score of the year for me price wise – I bought 4 balls at $1 each, and this top used a little over 2 balls. Yes, this top cost less than $2.5o to knit (!). They were in the clearance bin at a LYS, because they had faded a little in the sunlight, but not under the label. I think that this not overly noticeable and adds a little bit of character to the top, and I think it should be fine after a few washes and wears if the yarn does what it’s designed to do. I enjoyed knitting with this yarn and it feels quite silky to the touch, very different to other cottons I have worked with.
The pattern is knit all in one from the top down, although you do go back to pick up with neckline and sleeves to finish them off. It was the first of Never Not Knitting’s patterns that I have bought and I found it to be beautifully presented, technically edited superbly, and a simple well designed knit. I love the simplicity of the design, the wee lace cap sleeves are such a cute detail, and I have to say that they fall beautifully, with the lace in exactly the right spot. I did have to size down the needles quite a lot to get gauge – I used 3.75mm for the body and 3.25mm for the edgings. But the end result was worth it (I’d been hoping for a chunkier knit to interperse my small sock knitting with).
I didn’t time the photo session particularly well, so I will hope for some better pictures another day. Miss 1 recently had some immunisation shots and she is suffering the after effects, I got her munching a biscuit so I could take some! For now you will just have to trust me when I say the colour is amazing with her beautiful blue eyes.
I tried out a new technique when I was joining balls, and I was delighted with the result. I used the “Double Knit in Join” from Knitting Help.com. I would have used the Russian join but the yarn was made of lightly twisted single plies, and I didn’t think this would work. This method was no extra work at all, and has come up great – you can barely tell where the ball changeovers are, despite there being a number of stitches worked with two strands at the crossover point. I used this same join for the cotton in the market bag I finished recently too.I’m not sure what other methods of joins are popular with bamboo and cotton yarns of similar constructions, but am keen to hear your favourite techniques! I used this same join for the cotton in the market bag I finished recently too.