First up, huge apologies for my sudden and slightly prolonged absence. I have to confess it had a lot to do with the small amount of juice left in my glass that I spilled along my keyboard. Yup, my computer really doesn’t like me very much right now. The whole bottom row of keys isn’t working, as well as the space bar and enter key. Not good. But I have fired up my work laptop so that I can type without the use of my onscreen keyboard.
So, secondly, thanks for all the comments on the previous post – it’s great to hear about your knitting practises and hear it confirmed I’m not a freak for wanting to keep those needles working no matter what is on them.
You might remember me saying I wasn’t too keen to join in Malabrigo March either. Well, I have no intention of using my all the Malabrigo in my stash – but I thought a few projects wouldn’t hurt. So, today I’ll show you the first instalment. There is another project on the needles to show off in the next couple of days too.
First up is the lovely Spring Beret which I knit up with some leftovers from last year. I had around 75g left, and I thought I was taking a risk in knitting this up as most people on Ravelry said it took the whole skein. They must all be generalising though – I still had at least 20g of yarn left when this was done. The pattern is available as a free download and is a really simple knit. You cast on the band first, do one increase round and then proceed to the lace pattern – work the repeats and then the simple decrease rounds – all done. Sooo much easier than the Rose Red beret, but in this yarn is still super delicious. Yum. Just waiting for cold weather now!
In terms of the fit, this could be bigger – I knit the number of repeats the pattern recommended – if you like a baggier beret, I would knit one or two more. In fact, this fit like a closely fit hat before blocking – so, don’t be afraid of knitting it bigger. The pattern calls for cotton yarn and I think that it would sit differently if I had knit it in cotton.
Now that is not all for today though! I finally cast off my Whisper Cardigan this afternoon. It is such a light knit that I was able to wash and block it this afternoon in time for a couple of pictures. Yay for lace yarn. This is knit up in Malabrigo Lace yarn, in the colourway Sealing Wax. I used all but about 10g of two skeins – so around 90g all up. I totally love this, although the knitting was tedious, truth be told. The heavy needles and light yarn is such a mismatch, and the knitting is quite boring – stocking stitch in the round, in the flat, and ribbing – yawn! But, it is so lovely now that it is done. I am sure I will get heaps of wear out of this, especially since the days are starting to get a little cooler. Yay me for finishing something on time! This is the smallest size – I knit the largest size last time and it keeps sliding off my shoulders. I re-measured before casting on this one – and while I might have been better off with the medium, this is a much better fit than my previous attempt. I did knit a heap of extra length though just finishing when it seemed long enough.
So, for someone *not* participating in Malabrigo March, that’s a lot of Malabrigo for one post 🙂